Inspired by last week's decadent birthday dessert, I wanted to try to make a more figure-friendly version of the Hummingbird Cake. So, I decided to blend pieces of that recipe with my Apple Cinnamon Muffin recipe to arrive at this delightful concoction.
These muffins are just as tasty as the real confection, but they're not going to make you feel as guilty when you sneak one . . . or two.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas, approximately two large bananas
- 8 oz crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Whisk the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, blend 3/4 cup of light brown sugar and 1/2 cup of canola oil on a low speed setting until thoroughly combined.
- Continue to mix on a low speed setting. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the bananas, pineapple, and vanilla. Mix on low speed setting until combined.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients in two batches.
- Add the pecans. Turn the mixer off when the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into greased muffin pan, filling each cup two-thirds full.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and risen.
- When cool enough to handle, remove muffins from the pan and place onto wire racks to cool completely.