Looking for an early morning pick me up? Or a healthy option for that fabulous brunch spread you're planning? This recipe is perfect!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Coat muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk the flour, whole wheat flour, oats, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, blend 3/4 cup of light brown sugar and 1/2 cup of canola oil on a low speed setting until thoroughly combined.
- Continue to mix on a low speed setting. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the applesauce and vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Turn the mixer off when the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into greased muffin pan, filling each cup two-thirds full.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the muffins are dark and risen.