Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Corn Maque Choux

This is, hands down, my favorite Cormier family recipe. And after years of practice, I can FINALLY say that mine is just as good as my dad's and my grandmother's. This dish is essential just smothered corn and peppers, but its simple, slow preparation creates multiple levels of amazing flavor.

I love corn maque choux. I love it as a side with just about anything, and as a main course, all by itself. I will eat it hot or cold, for lunch or dinner . . . hell, I've probably eaten it for breakfast at some point.

But let me clarify -- I don't love all maque choux. Mostly just this maque choux.

I have attempted other variations and have tried it at many different restaurants, but I have yet to find a recipe that rivals this one. So, today, I shall post it here in hopes of spreading better maque choux out to the rest of the world.

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs whole kernel sweet corn
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • vegetable oil
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Directions
  1. In a food processor, pulse the corn 10 times (or more) to the desired consistency -- somewhere between whole kernels and creamed corn. Depending on the size of your processor, you may have to do this in batches.
  2. Heat 1/8-1/4 inch of vegetable oil in the bottom of a large cast iron pot on medium high.
  3. Add the corn, onion, and peppers and cook for 60-90 minutes over enough heat to create minimal grillade on the bottom of the pan (medium - medium high heat).
  4. Scrape the corn off of the bottom of the pot frequently to avoid burning -- every 2-3 minutes at first, then every 5-10 minutes once the heat levels off.
  5. Salt and pepper generously about 10 minutes before you remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment