In an effort to detox after our culinary tour of Austin, I have been snacking on a bunch of fruits and veggies over the last few days. Here's a tasty recipe that brings them both together. The sweet and fruity flavors of the citrus and balsamic vinegar balance out the bitterness of the endive and mixed greens.
I also love the combinations of textures in this salad -- the crisp endive leaves, juicy orange slices and the creamy goat cheese work together nicely.
- 1 small white Belgian endive
- 1 small red Belgian endive
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mandarin orange segments
- 1-2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- black pepper to taste
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey and salt in a small sauce pan. Simmer on medium hight heat for 5-6 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Trim the stems off of the endive heads and remove tough outer leaves. Give the leaves a rough chop.
- Combine the greens, endive leaves, oranges, walnuts and goat cheese in a serving dish. Top with the honey balsamic reduction. Sprinkle with pepper.
|Stuffed Endive Hors d'Oeuvres|