It's prime time for camping and other outdoor shenanigans. You can actually watch the beautiful night sky, relax in the sun, hike to new places. And it's kinda awesome to escape from the city for a few days.
Camping season also gives you an excuse to channel your inner 12-year-old and enjoy a sweet, chocolatey s'more. But they're not the most graceful dessert to put together.
The last time we went camping, half of our graham crackers crumbled on our trip out to the sight and I burned just about all of the damn marshmallows. So, I played with an idea to make life a little easier and bring these tasty treats out of the "campfire needed" category.
Now you can bang these out whenever this odd craving creeps up. Because it's a little weird to try and toast a marshmallow over a candle in your kitchen (not that I've ever tried that or anything . . .).
- 1 (16 oz.) box Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 (10 oz.) miniature marshmallows
- 5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, chilled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Immediately add the Golden Grahams in two batches, stirring carefully to evenly coat the cereal with the marshmallow creme but not crush the grahams.
- Mix in the chilled chocolate chips, then pour the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Press the cereal into the pan with your fingers. Allow the bars to cool and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.