This classic dish requires only a few basic ingredients, but really packs in some great flavors. This meal can be dressed up or down and is great for most occasions, whether it's a Tuesday night or an Engagement Party, like it was for this particular event.
The meat is briefly seared to add color and flavor, then finished off in the oven. The bold flavor of the horseradish and the brightness of the lemon balance out the creaminess of the sauce, complementing the beef. A nice indulgence, from time to time.
- 1 1/2 lb. beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Season the beef with salt and pepper, then cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow the meat to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Sear the beef in the skillet until it is browned on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet to the 425 degree oven.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest end reads 125 degrees, about 10 minutes.
- Let meat rest on a cutting board for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Thinly slice beef and serve with sauce.