The first heirloom tomatoes of the season have arrived! After a gorgeous afternoon at Eastern Market with a good friend, I returned home with a batch of beauties.
Now the dilemma . . . make a simple and fresh caprese salad? Or a good ole tomato sandwich? Then it came to me: turn the salad into a sandwich. And then grill it until the cheese melts to creamy perfection. Yes indeed. Don't mind if I do.
|Grilled Cheese Heaven|
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 1 large slice heirloom tomato
- fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
- basil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat.
- Spread the basil mayonnaise on the outside of each slice of bread. (Feel free to spread on both sides of the bread for extra flavor.)
- Place two or three slices of mozzarella on one slice of bread. Add the tomato slice. Top with sprigs of basil and another two or three slices of mozzarella.
- Top with the second slice of bread, basil mayonnaise side out.
- Grill the sandwich on medium heat until the cheese melts and the bread is golden brown, 2-4 minutes per side.