This is one of my Mom's Thanksgiving must-haves (and one of my favorites too). The pecan topping caramelizes to form an almost candy-like crust. It's a sweet and decadent side dish that's perfect for any holiday feast.
- 3 cups yams, precooked (if you use canned yams, be sure to drain the liquid)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the butter, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mash together milk mixture with the yams, sugar, eggs, and salt.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Crumble the topping over the yams.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes.