- 16 oz. penne pasta, uncooked
- 5 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 oz. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 oz. fontina cheese, shredded
- 5 oz. asiago cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain well.
- While the pasta is cooking, begin to make a béchamel sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Continue whisking and slowly add the milk.
- Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the salt, garlic powder, white pepper, and 4 oz. of each of the cheeses. Reserve 1 oz. of each of the cheeses for the topping.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes.
- Carefully combine the pasta and the béchamel sauce in a medium bowl.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
* This recipe is adapted from Beecher's "World's Best" Mac & Cheese.