Looking for a tasty new addition to your Meatless Mondays repertoire? Or Tuesdays, as it were . . . this is a great vegetarian dish that is packed with protein and flavor. And, if you nix the bread crumbs, it's gluten free. This recipe is a spin off of the Quinoa Mac & Cheese recipe previously posted and works great as a hearty side dish or as a main course.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pint cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 10 grape tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package instructions. Typically, you combine 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water to a sauce pan and bring that to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until the germ separates from the seed (which looks like a white thread curling around the seed).
- In a separate pan, sauté the onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes in olive oil over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Fold in the cooked quinoa, vegetable mixture, and grated cheese. Mix well.
- Apply a light coating of cooking spray to both sides of the bell pepper halves.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into each of the peppers, pressing the stuffing down firmly.
- Place each of the filled peppers onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Top with panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes for a little more heat.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until are golden brown.