This odd, culturally commingled dish will confuse and delight your friends and family. It's got the cheesy, carb-y goodness of a traditional Italian lasagna combined with all of your favorite Tex-Mex flavors. It feels wrong, you say? But it is so, so right.
Now just crack open a cerveza or pour yourself a margarita and have your own little fiesta.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced (leave the seeds for extra heat)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut in half
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup asadero cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add garlic, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and jalapeño. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, paprika, and black pepper.
- Brown the meat for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for an additional minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
- Combine the cheeses together in a medium bowl.
- Begin to assemble the lasagna in an 8x8 baking dish. Add a thin layer of the sauce. Top with cheese. Place 4 tortilla halves on top to cover. Repeat the process for two more layers.
- Drizzle the top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Increase the oven heat to 400 degrees F and bake for additional 5 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve with chopped green onions, sour cream, or any of your other favorite toppings.
|To layer the tortillas, place them in the baking dish |
round side facing inward.
|Add the final two halves to cover the top and bottom |
edges of the baking dish.