Happy Birthday Clo Clo! My wonderful, lovely mother is another year wiser today, and unfortunately I can't be there to celebrate. Instead, I'll have to settle for making Granny's famous gâteau sirop (cane syrup cake) in her honor.
This rustic Cajun dessert is dense and a little spicy. It gets its sweetness and texture from the rich, dark Louisiana cane syrup. And, my grandmother's recipe is the best around.
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup 100 percent pure cane syrup (preferred: Steen's Syrup Mill)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)